Tuesday, January 3, 2012

And World Vision It Is!

God is so faithful! He has just blown me away this past month. 

As many of you know, I got laid off the beginning of December, (you can read more about that here). My plan was to move to Colorado. I have always wanted to live there, I was not stuck in a lease in Minneapolis, and I was just ready for something new! It was definitely a leap of faith, moving to a whole new state and city with no job, and no real connections.  But I jumped.  And God caught me!

So I'll back up a bit...my mom and I drove from Spearfish, SD (where my parents live now) to Colorado to look at apartments the second week of December.   We looked in 4 different cities.  I had applied for a job in Colorado Springs for Compassion International, but when we went there to get a tour I found out the position had just been filled. Although disappointed, this was actually a blessing to find out so that I didn't feel obligated to live in Colorado Springs.  I found an apartment I really liked in Aurora which is a suburb of Denver, and I also found one I really liked in Fort Collins.  I was moving ahead with the process of getting approved for the one in Fort Collins.  I loved the city--smaller but still plenty to offer--and closer to the mountains.  I then applied for a handful of jobs in FC, but not a single one that I was excited about. 

After getting back from Colorado, I prayed a lot about moving. I began to have a few reservations about living in Fort Collins specifically. Mainly because I knew the job situation would be more limited than in Denver, but also because it is a very white, middle-class city. Many people look for that, but I like being exposed to different types of people who aren't "like me".  I prayed about whether or not Fort Collins was where I should be.  I was stressed about signing a lease on an apartment with no job. I prayed for a job. Let's just say, I was praying a lot.

Then, in the middle of a run....God began to answer those prayers.  I had gotten a call from Max who is the Warehouse Manager for the World Vision GIK Global Distribution Center in Denver.  To preface why he had called me, I should explain that before leaving Minneapolis, I had contacted the Site Manager there in Denver who had visited our warehouse in the Twin Cities.  During that visit, we figured out we were both from the same small town in northern Minnesota.  He had even played golf with my dad! I had emailed him right when we found out about the layoffs and asked him to let me know if any positions opened up in Denver.  I knew nothing about the Denver site and for some reason I figured they had a very large staff.  They don't.  They only have 4 staff (and about 10,000 volunteers/yr). And it just so happened that 1 of those 4 staff was leaving and they needed someone to start January 9th.  I knew NOTHING about this when I decided to make my move to Colorado.  To be honest, before getting the call from Max, I had kind of forgotten I had even emailed the site manager about open positions.

I talked with Max about the position which was essentially the same position I had been doing in Minneapolis and told him that I was for sure interested.  After the phone call, I knew this was exactly what God has been preparing me for.  Keep in mind I hadn't been offered the position yet, but I immediately started making phone calls.  I canceled the application process for the apartment in Fort Collins, then I called the leasing office at the apartment I liked in Aurora (... I later found out that the WV Storehouse is IN AURORA!! Well, technically Denver but its right on the border) and started filling out all the paperwork for that apartment instead.

The next week I had an hour-long phone interview with the staff which went well.  Then I waited. The position had to be posted online for a few days to be fair to any other potentially interested internal applicants. I waited some more through the Christmas holiday.  Then on December 27, I got the call from the recruiter formally offering me the position! I don't think I've ever gotten such a big hug from my dad after I hung up the phone :)

So, this Thursday I will be officially moving to the Denver area and will start my new job on Monday, January 9th.  God is SO good. 
-----------------------------------------

Here are the biggest things that make me just stand back and go "WOW". 

1.  I would have never gotten this job if I hadn't worked for WV in Minneapolis, and I would have never gotten that job if I hadn't worked for a garbage and recycling plant in high school where I learned how to drive a fork-lift. 

2. I loved working for the U.S. Programs (domestic) side of World Vision, but I had always wanted to work for the International side of it since I love learning about other cultures and my degree is in Sociocultural Studies. ...which I will be doing in Denver.

3. I wouldn't have known about any of this if someone hadn't suggested that I reach out to the Site Manager in Denver...who happened to be from my hometown in MN that most people have never even heard of.

4. The Storehouse just happens to be in Aurora...which is the only suburb of Denver in which I had looked at apartments.

5. Out of a staff of only 4, what are the chances that the one position that I actually qualify for would be available the beginning of January....

The list truly goes on...and I'm sure I am barely seeing a glimpse of what God has in store for me on this new adventure. 

Wow.  To God be the Glory!


1 comment:

  1. I love seeing God's hand all over this! And I especially love that you give God all the Glory! I'm so glad we hired you!

    ReplyDelete