Thursday, January 12, 2012

First week living in Colorado: Pigeons and Dairy and Gummi Bears, Oh My!

Random facts and observations in my first week as a Colorado resident:

I love my new job.  The first couple days were super exhausting both physically and mentally.  Remember, I had basically been unemployed for the past month and a half.  I was happy to actually be a contributing member of society again, but it took a few days to get back in the groove of the whole working thing.

 We have a stretch wrapping machine.  You probably don't appreciate that..but trust me.  It's awesome.

My new coworkers are great and super fun.  The actual work is VERY different from my World Vision job in Minneapolis.  Many similarities of course...but also super different.  Both good...just...different.  Did I mention it's different?

I don't mind living alone as much as I thought I would.  I FOR SURE miss my roomie (love you nicoley!!), but I'm making do.  I listen to a lot of Pandora. And for some reason I'm a lot cleaner.  I do all my dishes right away, and clean up everything.  I'm almost OCD about it which is very not me.  Maybe its partly boredom since I have no friends here yet...and no cable :)

I do have a pigeon porch-mate.  He lives...on my porch. He poops in the corner which is gross.  And I actually hate pigeons.  But I kinda like him.  I've named him Gus cuz he's kinda chubby as far as pigeons go. And somehow I associate the name Gus with being overweight? I'm not sure. Apologies to any skinny Gus's out there. 
Evidence of Gus


Colorado has bad dairy products.  Well, not bad...I guess its just different.  I'm kinda picky. Especially when it comes to my dairy.   The eggs are weird and the cottage cheese is almost inedible.  If you come visit from MN, bring me some cheese please.  

It's sooo dry here.  I get bloody noses that I never remember ever getting before and my skin is all cracked.  I can hardly put face makeup on in the mornings without putting on three gallons of lotion first. Everything is static-y.  I sit on my couch with my phone plugged in...and every move I make sends a shock to me through my phone.  Can't be good.

I love my new couch.  Except for when it shocks me.

I haven't gotten a gym membership...and I'm not sure I will get one.  My coworkers have a little gym set up in the basement of the warehouse and apparently do P90x during lunch breaks.  Score.  I'll need to figure out the running situation soon tho, especially since I just signed up for my first full marathon this fall...but wanna do another half this spring. But it's dark out before and after work still and I am (well, my mom is) paranoid about me getting abducted and no one knowing if I didn't come home after a run...I need a dog.  A big dog.

Speaking of dogs....or hedgehogs....I'm bringing Quincy to work tomorrow. I hope he behaves.

Tomorrow night my cousin from Arizona is driving up to Minnesota for a job interview and she is going to stay with me on her way! I'm SO excited to see her again :) :) And excited for what God is doing in her life and where He is leading her! Love you, D!

Well, now I'm about to go purchase some Gophers vs Pioneers hockey tickets for when Emily comes and visits me in February...SUPER excited about that too! My first MN visitor!!

Speaking of MN...it didn't take long for me to get made fun of for my Minnesota accent.  The first actual word was: Tag.  Yesterday I got made fun of for saying Uffda.  I hope I never stop saying Uffda.  It's on my top 10 list of words for sure.  Possibly even top 5. 

Anyway, that's all for now.  This weekend I'm going to check out a new church, as well as downtown Denver and work on getting my Colorado license, and new Colorado license plates, etc.  Fun stuff....


Oh. Here's a picture of my gummi bears I'm eating.  
Not that you care.  I just felt like blogging about gummi bears.

5 comments:

  1. The mouse from Cinderella is names Gus and he is fat. Maybe that is where it comes from. Love you and hope your having a good time settling in. Need to visit you sometime.
    ~jamie your fav cuz ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhmmm....Gus from Cinderella is chubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!! Childhood subliminal messaging at its finest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post made me tear up a little-just because I miss you like CRAZY!!!! I can't believe how boring my life got since you left me. But I am SO excited for you and this new journey you are on and I am so glad it is off to a new start! Can't wait to read the post about the new church :) Miss you roomie!!!
    -Nicoley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE reading what you write! It's like being there right with you! So glad you are settling in.........won't be long and it'll all feel like "home"! I love your new couch! And there is something about having your very own place with your own furniture that makes you the OCD way.......you want to keep "your" stuff nice! Not uncommon at all! :-) I can't wait for your next update! Denise

    ReplyDelete