Monday, January 7, 2013

Week One: Check.

This time I sit in Panera, where the two 60something women sitting on my left are discussing the evils of Facebook.  They almost have me convinced. While the two 20something women sitting on my right are discussing getting their nails done with "French tips but, like, with lots of glitter and stuff!"

Uffda. 

But hey! I've lived in my new state for a week!  

This first week living in Washington has been a huge blessing! I say that even amidst the mental-emotional-spiritual-physical adjustments that comes with a move like this.  Because seriously, everyone here has made me feel unbelievably welcomed!  

Also, people hug alot here.  My Norwegian/Swedish background has not prepared me for this.  I think I've gotten more hugs this past week than in my entire 25 years of life.  But...seriously. Again--so welcomed! 

Josh and I stopped by the beautiful house of their family friend, Karen, who has so graciously agreed to let me be her roommate for awhile! We stopped by to see if her dog, a German Shepherd mix, would demolish my little hedgehog.  He sure was curious about him...but he didn't try to eat him. Directly. He did try to eat Quincy's blanket once we put him away, however. So..maybe hedgie will live behind closed doors. 

I got spoiled my first three days here with SUNSHINE! It was beautiful.  But now it's rainy. Like right now, my socks are soaked inside my boots. It's okay though, I don't mind the rain because it's so GREEN here! And they have lakes! And you can see Mount Rainier!......sometimes.

In other news, I ended up making a few belated New Year's Resolutions afterall. I think I'll just make them up as I go. Is that allowed?

First one: Run at least 10 miles a week.  This past week I ran 12. Nailed it. 

Second one: Get a job.  So I can pay my bills. And be a productive member of society. And so I can get a gym membership and stop being such a lil weakling that gets sore the next day after stirring too much while baking.  True story.  

But back to running..

Even with all the hills here--it's reminded me how much I love running.  And mostly it reminds me how I can't afford a gym membership until I find a job. So I just keep on sloshing through the miles in my soaking wet tennis shoes, up and down and up and down and up and down the hills.   


They have weird trees here. When I'm out running I feel like I'm in Alice in Wonderland. Or a Dr. Seuss book. But without the rhymes and weird cats. And with more clouds, wet shoes, and nice people. 

And it's so warm here! For January at least. Except I look at my weather app and see that it's almost 50 all the time, so lil miss Minnesota girl here decides to be tough and not wear a jacket.  So then I'm always freezing.

I've gone through this "It's so warm I won't wear a jacket....Omg I'm freezing!!" skit every single day so far.

Can someone please text me every morning and tell me to wear a jacket? Thanks. 
(Just kidding mom, I wear a coat and hat and gloves everysingledayyyy) 


I'm surprisingly totally okay with this. 

So because I'm not very good at this whole being unemployed thing, I better get back to some job applying and resume printing and driving arounding that has become my new routine. 

I suppose I should do some laundry too.  

Oh...and hang out with my boyfriend on a Monday night.  Because now I can :)  


Yay for spontaneous date nights! And almost beating my boyfriend in Air Hockey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment