Friday, October 2, 2009

Where God is Leading Me....

I have been having quite a time deciding on what I want to do after I graduate. However, I think I have decided what I'm going to do! My boyfriend's mom once mentioned that she thought I might make a good ESL (English as a second language) Teacher...which I didn't think too much of because I just thought of teaching kids which I just don't have a passion for doing. So I decided to join this career focus group at Bethel, which includes taking the Strong Interest Inventory. (Thats the test that shows you good potential careers for you, etc.) Well my top three suggestions included education. A teacher?! Me? Well, after talking to my roommate Tricia, she said it just takes a couple of months to get your ESL certificate. She also said there is a need to teach newly immigrated adults English and also just basic cultural skills...Something I think I would LOVE doing!!

Looking back I feel as though God has led me to this place. Studying a foreign language in Guatemala gave me the experience of what its like to be on the "other side". My major--Sociocultural Studies--has prepared me for encountering different cultures and has given me a passion to learn about them. I am now in the process of applying at the U of M for my ESL Certificate, so we will see if God keeps opening the doors in this direction =).

No comments:

Post a Comment