Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Calm Life (part 2)

What does a gumball machine, an elephant, fireworks, and a leprechaun all have in common? 

Well, nothing. 

But I spent 10 days in South Dakota over Christmas! 

What I loved most about it was getting to just hang out at the house and spend time with my parents and Josh. No morning/afternoon commutes, no running around from one thing to the next. Yes, we still did some sightseeing, went to a hockey game, went to church, and ran some errands, but nothing ever felt rushed. 



It was truly living the simple life. The first few days I slept a lot. But once I was caught up on sleep it was like a city life detox. My mind was more peaceful, I felt more creative, and I was SO much happier. 

I didn't get stressed out over small stupid things like I have been lately. Seriously you should see me when I can't find anything to wear and I'm running out of time. I get obnoxiously crabby and my mind races and I feel like I could just cry at any moment. 

What? 

Really. I get total First World Spoiled Teenager attitude. It's pretty gross. 

But after coming back from SD, while getting ready to meet up with friends on New Years Eve, I had no good dressy shoes to wear...so I wore my puma-style tennis shoes. With a dressy outfit. And I didnt care. Because I'd rather wear the wrong shoes than be crabby. And even typing all of this I am embarrassed by my "First World Problems" syndrome. I'm working on it. 

While in SD I also started reading a book I got from my roommate called Simple Life by Thom & Art Rainer. So good. It looks at how our culture looks up to people who are involved in everything, put their kids in every sport, club, extracurricular activity....but everyone is stressed out, feels disconnected and discontent. 



SLOW DOWN, people. I'm not a parent, but I can totally see the temptation to involve your children in as much as possible to give them opportunities. But what does that ultimately do? Stresses parents out trying to juggle everything, and teaches the child to live a busy and hectic life as well. 

There is a balance. Try to bring some simple back into your days. Yes, you probably have to work 8+ hours a day, but what about all the other extras? Limit your extra activities to what you really value and enjoy doing. Step away from activities that always stress you out or consistently cause you to feel rushed or overwhelmed. 

Life is so short and goes so fast!! Don't fill it with meaningless busy work or life-sucking obligations that leave you exhausted and stressed out day after day. 

Fill it with quality time with loved ones. Fill it with adventures you want to reminisce about on your 80th birthday. Fill it with finding out and doing what God created you to do. 

I realize going from a stressed out life to a simple one takes time and may seem impossible. But you only have to go one step at a time.  

My first step? Don't be afraid to sometimes wear the wrong shoes. 
So far I've nailed it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment