Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Slow down...

Perhaps it is because I grew up in a small town in northern Minnesota. Perhaps it is because i've spent time abroad. Perhaps it is simply because it doesn't feel natural or right. Why are we always so busy? We are always running around doing all of these things--and lose sight of what is important. We stay up too late, eat fast food that is hazardous to our bodies, and most people doesn't exercise because they just are too worn out. We were created to be in relationship with other people. We were created to match the rhythms of the earth--slow, peaceful, calm. I grew up being fairly busy with school and sports, but being an only child I was never crazy busy. I loved it that way. I had time to sit down with my parents and talk about everything and nothing. Even my first year in college I never signed up to be involved with more than I could handle. But the city life seems to be getting to me. I feel like when I have free time, something is wrong. However, I still have not lost sight of who I am and how I was brought up. I have learned never to be idle or lazy, but make sure you always have quality time to spend with those you love, and also to spend by yourself. God can do anything, but I'm sure it makes it alot harder for Him to work through us when we have our own agenda packed tightly into every 24 hour period. We have to make sure we leave some "open space" for Him, too. So this is my challenge: Slow down a bit, take care of yourself, and let God do His thing.

5 comments:

  1. You dont me, I dont know you, but I loved what you wrote. Tonight has been a rough night for me because I am just SOO busy I havt had the time to relax with my husband and really enjoy my daughter. I'm starting my own buisness,and its more work then I had expected. I live in Northern MN too, unlike you though my two sisters and I were born right after one another pretty much. so by the time I was 1year and a few months mom already had another newborn, by the time I was three another newborn! I grew up with a busy non-stop life, but I am naturally very active anyway. Lately not so much. To busy to sleep, then too tired to work or spend time with my family...and so forth the process goes. Thank you for posting this. I needed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Bemidji, MN... what town did you grow up in- in Minnesota?

    ReplyDelete