Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tomorrow's Half Marathon Game Plan

I wrote most of this earlier this week, but here is my list of what I am and am NOT planning on doing before/during tomorrow's half marathon:

I AM planning on...
-Running with my ipod again.  Zoning out is an art. 
-Attempting a PR.  Even though I'm running a mile higher in altitude.  I've trained in it. Last time I was training around 9:30-10:00 min/miles.  This time I tried to stay around 9:00-9:30.  Crossing my fingers for a sub 8:30 min/mile average this race. 
-Using GU gels again.  Get at me, energy.
-Drinking water/gatorade at each station.  Even if just a little.
-Carbing up the two nights before the race.  Bring it, spaghetti. 
-Having fun and enjoying the race, regardless of how well I'm running. Live music along the way? Running through a fire station? Sounds like a party to me. 
-Scope out a parking spot the night before...which I just did.  Might be a lil tricky, but hopefully if I get there early enough I'll be fine. 

I am NOT going to...
-Get mad if I don't set a PR.  There's always next time.
-Stay with a pace setter.  I'll go on how I'm feeling...not try to stay at a certain pace the whole time.
-Use my own GPS/pace tracker...I'd rather not know how my pace is...otherwise I might get overconfident or discouraged.  I trust I can pay attention to how I feel and know how much I can push myself without burning out too soon. 
-Drink so much water the morning of.  Last time I had to make a bathroom stop at mile 2. 
-Wear shorts.  They bugged me the whole race last time.  Running capris it is. 
-Run faster than my target pace when I'm feeling good.  Save it, Kirsten. 
-Walk.  I made it last time without walking at all.  It's not even an option. 
-Force it if my hip hurts too badly.  Again, there's always next time.  Don't play tough girl.  Not worth it.

So, we'll see how it goes :) 


1 comment:

  1. Well?????? How was it???? Details, girl!!!




    denise

    ReplyDelete